Thursday, March 29, 2012

I beg your garden















Gardening to me is not so much of a hobby, as it is a full blown obsession! I blame Indira Naidoo for writing The Edible Balcony.

I kid you not, there have been times where I can’t get to sleep due to the sheer excitement of reading my gardening book then making a list of all the new herbs I want to plant and new tools I feel are completely necessary to own. “Go to sleep Em” my husband will murmur... Surely wondering what has possessed his once sane wife.

My dad like every little Italian man is the ultimate gardening guru. Many a desperate phone call has been made asking emergency questions such as “Do the tomatoes keep potassium or sodium in their soil?”

I discovered that there is nothing more satisfying than eating out of your own garden. Take today for example. Every morning I make a fresh pot of lemon balm tea. Add a bunch of mint to my coconut water smoothie. Pluck out some rocket leaves for my salad wrap. Then for dinner I make THE BEST basil pesto! Bugger that jarred crap.

Anyway I could ramble on for hours about the way the aroma from each herb wafts up to me as I run the watering can over each pot or the sweetness of that first cherry tomato from the vine. But seriously, no matter what your interests are, make sure that they totally consume you because they are what make you uniquely you xx.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh ~ I have for the first time absorbed myself in my garden, SOOO satisfying !

    ReplyDelete
  2. For breakfast I had the most delicious pineapple picked straight from our garden (mind you I think it may have taken close to a year for it to ripen due to Bellingen's climate!) I wish I could claim that I grew it but I can't - Wes's parents are our gardening guru's too! Got to love garden savvy in-laws! My new years resolution was to learn as much as I could about gardening from them and grow some vegies for winter - i'll let you know how I go Em :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow fresh pineapple! Good luck with the winter vegies! Imagine homemade pumpkin soup straight from the garden... Mmmm :) xx

      Delete