Thursday, March 8, 2012

Local, fresh, perfect.

How many times have you gone to buy seafood from the supermarket and the little sign says it’s from Taiwan or Uganda or some other random country thousands and thousands of kilometres away?

One of the things I love about living in the quiet little coastal town of Coffs Harbour is the fishing co-op located down at the marina. This morning I bought some fresh local prawns which were the size of mini lady finger bananas!

So tonight I sautéed the prawns in a tonne of organic extra virgin olive oil, a splash of Braggs liquid aminos and a handful of pay choy.

In another saucepan I boiled up some organic quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah” til soft and fluffy (12-15mins).

While that was all doing its thing, I whizzed up some pesto in my food processor with a couple of handfuls of freshly picked basil from the garden, a few swirls of olive oil, some toasted pine nuts and a wild amount of garlic.

Then finally I threw together a quick salad of mixed leaves, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, grated beetroot (cleansing for the liver), cucumber and a handful of cherry toms.

I popped the quinoa, salad and prawns on my polka dot plate and spooned the pesto all over it with a big squeeze of lemon.

Now for the washing up.... Eek!

Remember, shop local, cook from scratch, keep it fresh and always get your husband to do the dishes xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment