Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nourish yourself, Top 5 & hangover cures


I didn’t go to my pilates class tonight. I’m at home eating a tofu stirfry that my husband cooked. Then I’m going to have a hot bath, do some yoga and read a book in bed. I had a big day at work and I know that if I push myself today, that tomorrow I won’t have much to give to my clients, but more importantly, to myself.

It is so incredibly important right now to take extra care of ourselves. Everyone seems to be rushing around, constantly overcommitted having one too many late nights infused with alcohol. Then having an extra flat white the next day to make it through til 5pm.

The most frequent condition I see each February in my clinic is adrenal exhaustion. Simply because people push themselves beyond their limits though the silly season and then they get to February and collapse in a heap. Their body has pumped out all the adrenaline it can and they have to drag themselves again and start catching every cold that goes around.

So let this year be different! Live in the present moment because it’s still 2012. Listen to how your body is feeling and have an early night if you feel like you need it. Learn to put yourself first by knowing your limits.

But most importantly NOURSISH YOURSELF!!  Regularly pause and take ten deep cleansing breaths. Sit yourself down with a pot of tea and read a good book. Put your gardening gloves on and play around in your backyard. Book in a massage or reflexology treatment. Listen to your fave CD and dance around the room.



I let out a little squeal when I unpacked this amazingly beautiful stainless steel water bottle this afternoon! Get in quick! 






Top 5 Things I LOVED This Wk:

1. Going for a walk around the block just before dark and seeing all the twinkling Christmas tree lights in people’s homes. (In a totally non-stalkerish way of course!)
2. The smell of incense and fresh rain while I sat at my desk (the coffee table) and did bookwork.
3. Walking from the bathroom to the bedroom and catching a glimpse of my husband vacuuming the kitchen table.
4. Going on a spontaneous camping trip down the coast on Friday night. We left home at 7pm and arrived at the national park after 9. I woke up early Sat morning and drew back the (pirate print) curtains in the vans and was overwhelmed by our beautiful surrounds.
5. Roadside fruit stalls that sell stone fruit that are as cheap as chips.

When your head is racing, stop. Take a deep breath and remind yourself to live in the present moment.




We’re currently (eye)balls deep in the silly season. For a lot of people the celebrations start the first week on Summer and carry on til mid Jan. So it seemed appropriate to share with you my top 5 hangover tips.

1. Spirulina: Before hitting the sack take a six 500mg spirulina tablets to top up your nutrient levels that get depleted while drinking. The chlorophyll which gives spirulina it’s vibrant green colour is a fantastic blood cleanser. The other option is to throw a teaspoon into your banana smoothie the next day.
2. Nux vomica: Pop these little homeopathic pills under your tongue if you're feeling queasy and they'll set you on the right track.
3. Hydration: This is your time to drink (water) like a fish. Water is going to flush out all those nasty toxins from the alcohol. Booze turns off ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) in our brain therefore you pee more than normal which is dehydrating. The trick is to add a pinch of pink Himalayan salt to your glass of water to replace your electrolytes. It’s got over 100 different minerals in it and will help you absorb more water.
4. Avoid coffee: Caffeine is going to dehydrate you even more which is the last thing you need at this stage. Get into dandelion tea or some green tea.
5. Ginger tea: Grate or slice up some fresh ginger, throw in a slice of lemon and a little honey. The ginger acts as an anti-emetic (anti-spew) and the lemon will help to stimulate liver function.


So have fun kids and don't do anything I wouldn't do...


Emma the Naturopath xx

PS Don't forget to follow 'Essential Health Coffs' on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment