Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Let them have cake


Top Five Things I LOVED This Wk: *Hawaiian Style* (It’s Sunday over here!)

1. Chomping down a massive acai bowl while watching Kelly Slater dominate Pipe.

2. The underwater language you speak to each other while snorkelling. Lots of nasal squealing accompanied by enthusiastic pointing and arm tugging. And then me clinging to my husband like a cat when it gets a bit deep for my liking.

3. When my yoga teacher asked us to dedicate our practice to somebody, I chose a beautiful friend of mine who was due to give birth that day. After a very sweaty power yoga class and an amazing refuel at The Beet Box Café, I came home and saw the good news that her beautiful son had entered the world!! Welcome little Otis!

4. The sunset on Wednesday afternoon at Sunset Beach. It turned the sky, sand and ocean the most insane electric pink.

5. Hiking to the summit of Diamond Head then tandem surfing with my husband off the Waikiki reef. I’ve never seen such turquoise water!!

Emma the Naturopath xx

PS. We stood in front of the Duke statue in Waikiki yesterday as the sun was going down. Quite a humbling experience for my surf rat of a husband. I saw a little bronze plaque on the side of the state which was really touching:

“In Hawaii we greet friends, loved ones or strangers with ALOHA, which means with love. ALOHA is the key word to the universal spirit of real hospitality, which makes Hawaii renowned as the world’s center of understanding and fellowship. Try meeting or leaving people with ALOHA. You’ll be surprised by their reaction. I believe it and it is my creed. ALOHA to you”.

-Duke Paoa Kahanamoku






Top Five Things I LOVED This Wk: (I’m home!!)

1. At the top of my “must do” list for Hawaii was to swim with turtles. On our second last day I was snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and swam right up to the most gorgeous sea turtle who was just chewing on the reef and gliding around peacefully! Tick!

2. My yoga teacher’s top “I’m just here for the savasana”.

3. The day I flew back to Coffs, I went for a walk without my iPod around the rainy marina and empty beaches. Just the grounding experience I needed.

4. My super amazing parents who dropped us off and picked us up from the airport, did my banking, collected my mail, even worked in the shop when we were a girl down, watered my plants, filled our freezer with mangos from their tree, stocked up our fridge with our fave foods and cooked us vegie patties for dinner the night we arrived home! Such legends!!

5. Digging out my old favourite story books from my childhood to read with my little niece and nephew when they came to visit.

Emma the Naturopath xx

PS. And so our time in Hawaii has come to an end. It was so nourishing on every level. Physically, we were living on granola, green smoothies, pineapple, papaya, salads, vego stifrys, coconut kefir, spirulina kombucha and acai bowls. Oh, and the odd Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups! We were riding around on our bikes, hiking, swimming and surfing in the ocean, soaking up the sunshine and sweating it out at yoga.

On a spiritual/mental/emotional level, having that time away allowed me to reflect on my life/goals/priorities/values which was so essential. That’s one of the elements of travelling which I love the most. I always gain a new perspective by seeing my world with clearer eyes. You can’t help but live mindfully in the present moment.

It’s left me feeling so inspired and excited about life again. And I can’t wait to share it with you all!!

“You have to leave the city of your comfort zone and go into the wilderness of your intuition. 
What you discover will be wonderful. 
What you discover will be yourself”

-Alan Alda



*SPECIAL OFFER* 

Essential Health is offering 10% off when you purchase a box of 12 WotNot or Bambeco bamboo baby wipes! Pop in or give us a call at the shop and we’ll sort you out!! 

In the first year of life, bub’s skin is paper-thin and SUPER sensitive. It requires extra TLC so it doesn’t dry out and lead to infections and rashes.

*It’s not necessary to wash your baby EVERY daily. But when you do, go for products that are as simple and natural as possible like Moogoo
*Opt for aluminium-free powder
*Choose baby wipes that are free from alcohol, chlorine and fragrance
*Wash clothes, sheets and towels with a plant-based, fragrance-free washing detergent like soap nuts
*Moisturise baby’s body with almond, apricot or coconut oil. Every time you massage your bub, you stimulate production of their “feel good hormone” oxytocin which boosts the bonding



Top Five Things I LOVED This Wk:

1. When your fave long lost song comes on the radio and you sit in the car in the driveway singing away til it’s over.

2. When your mate convinces you to bring your board “just in case”. I’m so grateful he did! We all surfed the funnest little peelers at the Pass while dark ominous clouds loomed overhead.

3. Salted caramel cupcakes at the Bangalow markets.

4. Leaving the oil on your body and through your hair for as long as possible after a massage. Stoked to find my new fave masseuse in Coffs!

5. The mini red capsicum I grew. It made a cameo appearance in tonight’s tofu rice paper rolls.
Emma the Naturopath xx

PS. “Forget yesterday
It has already forgotten you.
Don’t sweat tomorrow.
You haven’t even met.
Instead, open your eyes,
and your hearts to a
truly precious gift;
today”

-Steve Maraboli



*CHOC ZUCCHINI BROWNIES*

These are the most deliciously dense little morsels. They only rise a few inches and are really rich and moist so cut them into small squares for the perfect accompaniment to a peppermint tea as an after dinner treat or lunchbox snack!

1 ¼ cups almond meal
¼ cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
¾ cup zucchini, grated (one small-medium zucchini)

1. Throw all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz til smooth.
2. Grease 6.5 x 4 inch loaf pan with coconut oil or line with baking powder.
3. Bake at 180 degrees in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.

Dairy free
Wheat and gluten free
Paleo friendly
High protein



Top Five Things I LOVED This Wk:

1. Cellulite and stretch marks. Insta and the net can be so bombarded with super skinny flawless models with thigh gaps and “fit-spo” pages. Clearly I’m all about being physically fit and living a healthy lifestyle but it’s so refreshing to go down to the beach and see “real” girls.

2. A packet of apple sticky notes that one of my besties sent in a birthday parcel. I’ve written affirmations and stuck them in my diary, mirror and on anything else that doesn’t move.

3. Sunny windy weekdays where you only have to share the beach with a few school kids jetty jumping and a flock of seagulls.

4. Having an impromptu sleep over at mum and dad’s farm. I woke up to roosters crowing, birds in the trees, gentle rain on the tin roof and the smell of very strong Italian coffee.

5. A weekend to myself =sleeping starfish at night.

Emma the Naturopath xx

PS.
“Be here.
Be present.
Wherever you are, be there”

-Willie Nelson

Being a naturopath, has really taught me to LISTEN to people.


To hear WHAT they are saying.

To hear WHY they are saying it.

To hear HOW they are saying.

And sometimes, what they are really TRYING to say.


It’s about being totally present and feeling empathy towards the person in front of me.

How do you go listening to others? Do you dominate 90% of the conversation? Do you read their body language? Do you make eye contact and give them signs that you are interested in what they have to say? Or are you waiting for them to stop talking so you can give your opinion? Are you mentally committed to the conversation or are you thinking about what you need to buy for dinner?

Listening and being present with someone is such a simple yet meaningful gift you can give someone. Let’s focus on that this week.




It's hard to leave old habits behind. 

But when you want a new result (be it a pain-free back, clearer skin, a few less kilos or a better nights sleep) some improvements need to be implemented. There are no magic pills or quick fixes for change, just effort, determination and releasing the old. 

And if you need some guidance with that, 
I'm here waiting for you 


Emma the Naturopath xx

Essential Health
0266 514 533
Boulevard Arcade (opp. Blush), Coffs Mall

Facebook: Essential Health Coffs
Instagram: emma_the_naturopath

No comments:

Post a Comment