Tuesday, September 3, 2013

How to shop like a naturopath


DIY ALMOND MILK AND BLISS BALLS

I made almond milk over the wkend! I decided that I had better things to do than spend time standing in the milk aisle of the supermarket every week trying to compare all the different brands. It was so much easier than I thought it would be and I already had the ‘equipment’ at home. The leftover ‘nut meat’ is ideal for making bliss balls.

ALMOND MILK

You will need:
1 cup almonds
Filtered water
A blender
A fine rice sieve
A glass jar with a lid (at least 750ml)

1. Soak 1 cup of almonds in some filtered water. Leave overnight.
2. Rinse and drain in the morning and put almonds in a blender.
3. Add 3 cups of filtered water and blend for about a minute. After you've tried this a few times you can experiment with the almond/water ratio to achieve the consistency of milk that you like.
4. Sit the empty jar in the sink and hold the sieve above it. Slowly pour in the milk, about ¾ cup at a time. I use the back of a spoon or my fingers to push it through the sieve. Pop the ‘nut meat’ in a spare bowl, then keep pouring the milk through until it is all done.
5. Pop the lid on the jar and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.


BLISS BALLS

You will need:
A food processor
A bowl for rolling balls in chia seeds
An airtight container for storage

1 x pkt of organic dates from the fruit/veg section of the supermarket. Has about 8 dates in there.
Leftover ‘nut meat’ or just soak 1 cup of almonds overnight in water then drain
1 cup cashews (ideally soaked overnight)
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup oats (leave out if coeliac or substitute with quinoa flakes)
½ cup raw cacao powder
½ cup LSA
½ cup shredded coconut
2 Tbsp protein powder (I use vanilla pea protein powder)
1 cup chia seeds for coating (or use desiccated coconut or LSA)

1. Throw everything (except chia seeds) in a food processor and blitz til combined thoroughly. If the mixture is too dry add more coconut oil or a fresh banana. If it is too wet add oats, shredded coconut or LSA.
2. Pour chia seeds into a bowl. Roll into mixture into small balls, coat in chia seeds then place in storage container. Continue till all mixture is gone.  




Top 5 Things I LOVED This Wk:

1. A faux mink leopard print blanket.
2. Button mushies, garlic and parsley cooked in salty organic butter on spelt toast.
3. The interesting things you find whilst spring cleaning: old love letters, the shell necklace I used to live in when I was 18 living in Byron, my FAVE bikini that I hadn’t seen since the summer of 2011.
4. My current morning juice combo: pine, mint, green apple, cucumber, lime, wheatgrass juice.
5. Finding the charm bracelet I had when I was little (yet another score from spring cleaning). There was a little silver apple on it because I wanted to be a naturopath when I grew up. I took the apple charm into the jewellers this week and had it made into a necklace.

Emma the Naturopath xx

PS. Here’s one of my fave quotes by Marianne Williamson. Live loudly people!!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. 
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. 
It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.

We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? 

You are a child of God.
Your playing small 
Does not serve the world. 

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking 
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, 
As children do. 
We were born to make manifest 
The glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; 
It's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, 
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. 

As we're liberated from our own fear, 
Our presence automatically liberates others.




I arrived home tonight from another whirlwind day in the shop to this touching email from one of my clients. It warmed my heart and reminded me that I am following the right path xx

"Thank you, Emma. I really appreciated your calm, attentive, and dare I say, quite angelic attitude. You gave the impression of really loving your clients".



Did you know that Essential Health has an Instagram account? 
Check out: emma_the_naturopath



*DELIVERY ALERT*

Vanessa and I spent the afternoon unpacking our MASSIVE Moogoo delivery!!

There are tonnes of new products including:
*Sun protection range: Cover Up Buttercup sunscreen, How Now Brown Cow (natural fake tan) and an anti-aging face cream plus SPF.
*Gentle baby range including Mini Moo bubble bath and Mudder Udder balm (nipple treatment for breastfeeding mums).
*‘Dr Zoo’ pet range for four legged friends: Itchy Dog shampoo and Irritable Skin balm

Come in and have a play with the testers!




Top 5 Things I LOVED This Wk:

1. Finally digesting way too much choc avo mousse.
2. My bachelorette meals this week while my husband is in Indo: varying from extravagant meals cooked from scratch to a chicken breast, a carrot and a handful of snow peas on a plate.
3. The snap, crackle and pops of everyone’s joints at a winter mornings yoga class.
4. Fri night’s hour and a half bath: a pot of tea, 3 new mags, fairy lights and a punnet of strawbs.
5. Something hilarious happened during my dream and I actually woke myself up this morning from laughing in my sleep. What a fantastic way to start the day!

Emma the Naturopath xx

PS. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself” –Thich Nhat Hahn, Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk and peace activist.

Please remember to celebrate your own unique beauty x



HOW TO SHOP LIKE A NATUROPATH

1. Fresh is better than frozen, frozen is better than canned: Opt for fresh, local and seasonal produce.
2. Always have a rainbow of veggies in your trolley: Each colour represents a different phytonutrient (naturally occurring compounds) that has specific health benefits.
3. Ocean raised fish is better than farmed: Only buy Australian fish and seafood that haven’t travelled from a far off country.
4. Avoid UFO's (Unidentified Food Objects): if you can’t pronounceable ingredients or they are full of numbers, put it back on the shelf and slowly back away.
5. Choose real foods and avoid processed (man-made) foods: If it didn’t walk on the land, swim in the sea or grow in the ground, rethink your choice.
6. Always buy organic for these dozen fruits and veggies: Apples, capsicum, celery, cherries, grapes, lettuce, broccoli, peaches, pears, potatoes, spinach and strawberries.
Oh yeah, and bring your own bags.

Emma the Naturopath xx

Essential Health (opp. Blush in the Boulevard Arcade in the Coffs Mall)
0266 514 533

No comments:

Post a Comment