Monday, July 4, 2011

My "Peanut Butter" Theory.





Have you heard of the phrase “Jack of all trades, master of none”?

Last year I was speaking to an acupuncturist about how some people spend years and years at uni doing multiple degrees. Although it’s a wonderful thing to have a yearning for knowledge my acupuncturist turned to me and said “Yes, but which one do they do well?”

I think some people’s lives can be like that too. Women are meant to be the experts in multitasking –although I seem to be the exception to that rule… However it amazes me when I hear about ladies who work 70 hour weeks, have two kids under 7, try to maintain a successful marriage, a social life, time to themselves and try to stay on top of their health. Usually in that order too. Super mum or adrenal exhaustion?



Much like running a business, a clinic, maintaining a long-distance relationship, doing two advanced pilates classes, catching up with friends and family while looking after everyone else's health but my own.... Hmmm... Time to down size!

I regularly explain this to an overcommitted friend of mine as my “Peanut Butter Theory”. Don’t spread yourself too thin!

Conserve your precious energy. Do things whole heartedly or not at all. Be present in every situation. Love what you do. Know your limits and drop down a gear. Most importantly, learn that sometimes the most positive thing for your health and head space is to say ‘no’. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment